DPW Maintenance Laborer Position
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, operation of heavy equipment including trucks, loaders, and backhoes. Manual labor in areas of parks & forestry, street maintenance & repair, and water & sewer. Employees in this position are subject to the Federal Drug and Alcohol Testing Act Requirements. Reports to the DPW maintenance leader.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operation of a variety of power tools, including mowers, blowers, chainsaws, chippers, trimmers, etc.
- Operation of large commercial equipment, including dump trucks, graders, backhoes and loaders
- Performs ice and snow control activities, including shoveling and salting
- Performs tree trimming and tree removal
- Lawn and landscape maintenance, including cutting and edging grass, planting, watering, and caring for trees, shrubs and flowers
- Performs repair and maintenance of pump stations, water meters, hydrants, and curb stop boxes
- Repair and maintain streets and sidewalks, including concrete and asphalt removal and replacement, street signs and markings
- Maintain accurate work records, time sheets and other forms of data
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Valid, unrestricted Michigan driver’s license with a CDL endorsement with air brake endorsements (or ability to obtain a CDL within 90 days of hire) and appropriate medical card throughout employment
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 90 pound loads
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme temperatures
- Ability to tolerate exposure to dust, dirt, grease, fuel, chemicals and lubricants
- Ability to stoop, bend, climb trees, and go into underground vaults and pits with restricted movement
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time
- Ability to understand and follow both written and oral instructions
- Knowledge of use of equipment and tools commonly used in Public Works practices
- Certification as water operator and/or water distribution operator desirable
- Must live and maintain residency no more than 20 miles from the Village of Wolverine Lake
This is a full-time position in a unionized environment with a base wage of $21.79 per hour plus benefits including a MERS defined benefit pension, health/dental/vision insurance, paid time-off, and paid holidays.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of an employee so classified.
Employees must be physically able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Village of Wolverine Lake does not discriminate in its employment or in any other programs or activities on the basis of race, religion color, creed, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, economic status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
DPW Maintenance Laborer Application
Please submit application by August 27, 2021 to:
David Gillam, Village Administrator
Wolverine Lake, MI 48390