Waste and Recycling
The Tink Claw picks up Village resident leaves off a flat surface adjacent to the road. While this operation is very effective at collecting large volumes of leaves it functions equally well with wet or frozen leaves. Some residual leaves will remain that residents should dispose of during weekly yard waste pick up.
Hints, suggestions and reminders:
Watch for the signs posted on the stop signs at the entrance to your subdivision.
Do NOT place your leaves on a flat surface adjacent to the road until your subdivision is posted for the day of pick up.
- This is a bulk service and not designed for small, low piles. A good rule of thumb is; if your pile is not at least 5 lawn bags worth of compacted leaves, simply bag them for the compost service on Tuesday. Pick up your 5 free bags at Village Hall during the fall season.
- Do not allow leaves to accumulate in an amount and manner that constitutes a hazard to the public health, safety or welfare of Village residents, including interference with safe travel and passage.
- The Tink Claw cannot pick up leaves in a ditch line. Only on flat areas.
- Please keep your piles away from any obstructions; such as rocks, mailboxes, etc.
- Do not mix sticks or other debris in the leaf piles, as these can cause damage to Village equipment and employees. Other yard waste, garden waste, trash, recyclable material, branches, etc. cannot be placed with the leaves for collection.
- Please clean up the remaining residue following the pick up.
- The DPW staff is very conscientious and well trained with the equipment operation however, please keep in mind that if you choose to use this service some grass damage may occur. It is the property owner's responsibility to repair any damage.
- Leaves can also be placed in garbage cans not exceeding 32 gallons and should be marked with "Yard Waste" stickers. Stickers are available at Village Hall.
- Yard waste bag/can collection through GFL (Green For Life Environmental) begins the First Tuesday of April and ends the Last Tuesday of November.
- For safety reasons, please do not allow children to play in leaf piles.
- Avoid parking on the street during pick-up days.
- Do Not park over or near leaf piles due to the potential fire hazard.
Pickups will generally fall around the same time each Monday. However, due to traffic, road conditions and volumes, GFL (Green For Life Environmental) may run at a different time. To insure pickup, please have your items at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on collection day. Place rubbish in cans NO LARGER THAN 32-GALLONS or tied plastic bags WEIGHING NO MORE THAN 50 POUNDS EACH. Rubbish can be set out at the curb no earlier than 12:00 p.m. the day before collection and containers must be remove from the curb-side before 9:00 a.m. the day after collection. Some holidays that falls on a Monday will possibly delay collection. Contact Village Hall at 248-624-1710 to verify if collection is delayed.
Yard waste bag/can collection through GFL (Green For Life Environmental) begins the First Monday of April and ends the Last Monday of November.
Bulk Item Pickup
Large items such as furniture, appliances (including refrigeration units with Freon), mattresses, carpet, etc. will be collected on Tuesdays with your rubbish. Carpet should be in manageable rolls not to exceed four feet in length. Place at the curb with your rubbish by 6:00 a.m. or the night before. No need to call ahead of time however, please be aware that no more that a couple of bulk items can be put out at a time.
- Recycling Guidelines
- Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Electronics Recycling
- Latex Paint Evaporation
Recycling for Village Residents is now EVERY Monday. Is your recycling bin full? Clear plastic bags can be used for additional items or purchase an additional bin at Village Hall for $11.
Simple Recycling -- Free curbside recycling of clothing and household goods. Now available every Monday. For more Simple Recycling Bags or questions about the program call 866-835-5068.
Recycle your cell phones and printer cartridges. Bring your printer cartridges and cell phone into Village Hall Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.