Police Department
Wolverine LakePolice Department

Police Department


Vehicle Crash reports for Village Residents Only, can be picked up at the Wolverine Lake Police Department at no cost. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for reports must be in writing and must sufficiently describe the records you are seeking. Please submit to the Wolverine Lake Village Administrative Office. The fee for FOIA requests varies and includes cost of duplication, search, examination, deletion, separation and mailing. 

Clearance Letters

Frequently, citizens applying for employment will find that their prospective employer requires a clearance letter from their local police department. This is a service the Wolverine Lake Police Department provides for residents only. To obtain a clearance letter you must appear at the Police Department with photo identification.  A search of the Department's records is done and a letter is then generated listing any criminal contacts the requestor may have had with the department. There is no charge for this service. Make your request at the Wolverine Lake Police Department.


The Wolverine Lake Police Department is available to fingerprint Village residents for employment or other purpose during regular business hours 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Wolverine Lake Police Department. Officers will be called in from the road to perform this service so it could take a few minutes. Please allow yourself some extra time when coming in for fingerprinting. There is no charge for this service.

Vehicle Lockouts

Have you locked your keys in your car? As a courtesy to our Village residents, we will come out to help. We do have a liability waiver that we require to be signed prior to unlocking the vehicle. If there is a child in the locked vehicle, be sure to advise the dispatcher to upgrade the complaint to an emergency situation. Keep in mind that simple lockouts are not considered top priority complaints and other emergencies will be handled first.

Vacation Property Checks

When you are going out of town, call us, let us know when you are leaving and when you will be returning and we will keep an extra watch on your home while you are gone. Please complete this Vacation Form and return it to us prior to leaving.

Pistol Purchase Permits

Wolverine Lake residents can apply for handgun permits between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. There are no fees for the purchase of a permit. The following requirements must be met prior to a permit being issued:
  • You must have photo identification
  • You must be a resident of Wolverine Lake and a United States citizen or resident legal alien.
  • You must be eighteen years of age or older to purchase a handgun from a private citizen. 
  • You must be twenty-one years of age or older to purchase a handgun from a licensed federal firearms dealer. 
  • You have never been convicted of a felony or convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. 
  • You are not subject to a conditional bond release, a personal bond release, a personal protection order, or other court order which prohibits you from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
  • You have not been adjudged insane or legally incapacitated unless competency has been restored by court order. 
  • You are not under involuntary hospitalization or alternative treatment program due to mental illness. 
Note: Unused purchase permits must be returned to the Police Department. Persons who have current Concealed Pistol License DO NOT need to obtain a license to purchase a handgun. A "Record of Sale" can be filled out and turned in to the police department. A blank copy of the "Record of Sale" can be obtained at the Police Department or online here.

Concealed Pistol License (CPL) Application

A Concealed Pistol License (CPL) Application can be obtained at the Police Department during normal business hours at no cost to the applicant. Fingerprints and all other CPL paperwork will be handled by the Oakland County Sheriffs' Department.

Villagers Against Crime

The Wolverine Lake Police Department is continually striving to work closely with its residents through Community Policing.  One of the key elements to Community Policing is community involvement. The Villagers Against Crime program has been implemented so citizens, in cooperation with the police, can directly participate in the decision and prevention of crime.  Village residents are trained how to recognize suspicious or criminal activities and report them to the police department. Villagers Against Crime is a citizens involvement program dedicated to make Wolverine Lake a safer place in which to live. The Police Department also offers classes in various safety issues such as:
  • Personal Safety
  • Bicycle Safety
  • Crime Reporting
  • Home Intrusion 
If your group (i.e. Subdivision Homeowner's Association, etc.) is interested in having a safety class, please contact Chief John Ellsworth at 248-926-6060. Together we can make a difference!

Boater Safety Classes

Contact Village Hall for current class date.

Curfews in the Village

Curfew for Minors Under 12 Years of Age (20.719, Section 46)
It shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of 12 years to loiter, idle or congregate in or on any public street, highway, alley or park between the hours of 10:00p.m. and 6:00a.m. of the following day unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian, or some adult delegated by the parent or guardian to accompany the child. (ord.no.85 eff. June 9, 1972)
Curfew for Minors Under 16 Years of Age (20.720, Section 47)
It shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of 16 years to loiter, idle or congregate in or on any public street, highway, alley or park between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00a.m., immediately following, except where the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian or some adult over the age of eighteen years delegated by the parent or guardian to accompany the minor child, or where the minor is upon an errand or other legitimate business directed by his or her parent or guardian. (ord.no.85 eff. June 9, 1972)

 Contact Info

Sign up for email or text message news and updates

Chief John Ellsworth - jellsworth@wolverinelake.com
Deputy Chief John Woychowski
Sergeant John Marasco
Officer Brian Dennis
Officer Andrew Sutzko
Officer Kristian Beaudry
Officer Ryan Crowell
Officer Brett Crick

Oakland County Sheriff's Department dispatches for Wolverine Lake. For assistance call 248-624-1335.

Emergencies: dial 9-1-1  

52-1 District Court

 Frequently Asked Questions

I need a copy of my driving record for my prospective employer, when can I pick that up?

Sorry, we cannot run any information for the public (for example driving records, criminal histories) on our Law Enforcement Computer - it is against the law and we could be fined for doing so.

My electricity is out...when will it be back on?
By calling Detroit Edison at their new automated system number (1-800-477-4747) you can get the same information as the police department.
I have recently moved into the Village, my handguns were registered at my old residence. Do I have to register them here?
No. Once they are initially registered with the State of Michigan they do not have to be re-registered.