Wolverine LakeCoal-Tar-Sealant-Ban


Ordinance 157 – Coal Tar Sealant Ban & Pavement Sealer Regulations


On May 10, 2017, the Village of Wolverine Lake joined a growing number of communities that have banned the use of high PAH (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons) pavement sealers, including coal tar based sealers. Applying sealcoat to asphalt is a common practice in Michigan, but growing evidence has shown that the use of high PAH products carries significant risks to humans and aquatic life. For more on this topic, please visit the following links:
The Huron River Watershed Council website has a lot of information about the health risks of high PAH sealcoats. You can also find information on how to identify coal tar and other high PAH sealcoat products. A list of contractors that provide safe alternative products is also featured.
Downtown Publications recently published an article about coal tar and high PAH sealcoat products.

Ordinance 157 prohibits the purchase, use, and sale of pavement products containing >0.1% PAH by weight, including coal tar-based sealers. The following Q&A is designed to inform residents about how this new ordinance impacts them.

Q: Can I seal my own driveway?

A: Yes, but you cannot use a high PAH (more than 0.1% PAH by weight) sealing product. Note that most major retailers have already discontinued the sale of these products, but please be sure to verify that the product is legal for use within the Village. You can learn about how to identify high PAH sealcoat products by visiting the Huron River Watershed Council link above.

Q: Do I need to get a permit before sealing my own driveway?

A: No permit is required of an individual before sealing their driveway, but the prohibition against using high PAH sealing products does apply.

Q: Can I hire someone to seal my driveway?

A: Yes, but all commercial pavement sealer applicators are required to register with Village annually before working inside the Village. If you hire a commercial applicator, please ask them if they have registered with the Village before hiring them to work at your property. If they have not, please inform them to visit Village Hall prior to doing any work on your property. The Village is sending letters about the new ordinance to commercial applicators in the area, but it would still be wise for residents to verify that the applicator is registered.

Q: What is the registration process for commercial applicators?

A: Commercial applicators must fill out a one-page form that provides contact information, the type of sealant product they use, and a signed statement that they will comply with Ordinance 157. They can get a registration form at Village Hall (425 Glengary) and are required to register annually.

 Sign up for email or text message news and updates